5.26.2009

Kit Building 101: The Necessities

Well, yesterday really wasn't all too relaxing as planned, but don't worry it was a great day nonetheless. Instead of lounging around I attended a cookout with some friends, studied (darn my incessant needs to be ahead) and watched the basketball game last night. So, overall it was a great day despite the original plan. And some of the best things are unplanned.

Now, on to the make-up!

Since I'm striving to become a freelance makeup artist there are a "few" things that I'll need in order to get the job done right. After much research and a lot of reading, I tailored from the knowledge I gained to create what I want in my kit. Yes, the list is a dozy but I promise they're all necessary.

Ok, let's get started!

SKIN CARE & PREP

Facial Wash- To prep the skin and make sure that it's clean (need to find an economical option to carry in my kit to serve clients the best)

Moisturizer-Cetaphil (great for sensitive skin), MAC Strobe Cream (dewy skin looks) and Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion (great for mattifying oily skin)

Toner-TBD (need to fig. out which is best for all skin tones)

Moisturizing Body Lotion-TBD

Monistat Chafing Gel- great alternative to Smashbox primer (but need to look into other options as well)

FOUNDATION

RCMA Palette- for liquid foundation options ( But also considering options from Cinema Secrets, Graftobian & Yaby at camerareadycosmetics.com)

Powder Foundation Options (need to do more research on what's available or whether or not I should even have it)

CONCEALERS

MUFE- 5 Camouflage Cream Palette( light, dark and corrective options)

SETTING POWDER

Silica Powder- TKB Trading (cheaper than MUFE)

MAC- Mineral SkinFinish Naturals (about 4 to use on the range of possible skin tones)

BLUSH

Blush Palette- La Femme 12 Blush Palette (just to have a good starting point in terms of options)

Crème Blush Options- I just have a personal preference for them and might include them in the kit

COUNTOURING

Blushes- Blunt by MAC (darker skin-toned women), Strata by MAC ( lighter skin-toned women)

Countouring Palette- Coastal Scents

BRONZERS

Liquid Bronzers- to mix in with foundations or moisturizers to create a luminous look

Powder Bronzers- more research needs to be done

EYES

Eye Primer- Urban Decay Primer Potion and various other color bases by NYX

Eye shadows- various options for colors from diff. companies but considering on ordering the neutral palette from coastalscents.com for bridal work

Eyeliners- gel eyeliners, pencil eye liners

False Eyelashes- various options

Mascara-three to four formula options (most likely drugstore brands)

Brow Fillers- most likely will use brown eye shadows to get the job done.

LIPS

Vaseline-great primer for lips

Lipsticks- I've heard great things about NYX lipsticks and possibly looking into lip palettes as well

Ligloss-OCC Clear Lip Tar, and other basic colors

Lip Pencils- Urban Decay Lip Pencil in Ozone (great alternative to carrying a lot of various colors because its clear) but looking into possibly NYX lip pencils as I progress

BRUSHES & TOOLS

Brush Belt- E.L.F (just as good as the one by M.A.C.)

Duo Fiber Brush- For applying foundation (I"m not to fond of traditional foundation brushes)

Powder Blush-various shapes and sizes

Blush/Contour Brushes- tapered, angled and rounded brush options

Buffer Brush- great to buff out overly intense colors

Eye shadow Brushes- lid application, crease brush, highlight (but of course I'll have various styles for ea.)

Angled Liner Brush

Straight Liner Brush

Dense Angled Liner Brush- for eyebrow color application

Disposable lipstick brushes

Disposable doe-foot lip wands

Disposable mascara wands

Brow brush and comb duo

Disposable cosmetic sponges

Concealer brush

Tweezers

Duo Surgical Adhesive for lashes

Disposable Spatulas

Mini-scissors

Pencil Sharpener

Eyelash Curler-She Uemera (expensive but nonetheless is an investment)

OTHER NECESSITIES

Cotton pads

Empty spray bottles

Isopropyl alcohol

Make-up Wipes

Eye Make-up remover

Cotton Swabs

Visine-regular

Visine for Contacts

Kleenex

Hand Sanitizer

Mini-pack of Wet Ones

A Nail Kit

Nail File

Polish Remover

Cuticle Sticks

Hand Cream

Small Hand Towel

Sunscreen

Mini-Fan

Business Cards

Mints

Hair clips-to move the hair out of the way

Robe for clientele to wear over clothing

Empty Palettes for Eyeshadows- Coastal Scents

Last but not Least…

A Train Case- I've been scoping out by the recommendation of Ren of MakeupbyRenRen who mentioned that Yazmo was a great place for traincases.

If I shop wisely I should have a "complete" kit in no time.

Ok, I'm through. Creating this list, although time consuming, was necessary because I can keep better track of what I need and it'll help me to be more conscious when shopping.

I've got my second interview to get ready for later and I'll be testing out a Dupe for M.A.C.'s luster drops along with a new duo fiber brush that I bought. I'll be sure to share my experience with the new purchases later on in the week.

Have a great Tuesday all!

XOXO & many blessings,

B. Pierre

P.S. Here are a list of the sites that I used to compile my personal list. These were great resources.

Makeup By RenRen

What The Pro's Do

Petrilude

In My Kit

No comments: